Tuesday, October 27, 2009


Hey mommy it was good to hear from you. Life is good here. This week was really crazy. We had transfers Monday. I got up at 5:30 Monday morning to get everything started. We drove around with shuttles and buses and picked up all 76 missionaries on this island plus 3 that came over from eua at 7:30. We bought 100 cinnamon rolls and got everyone to the church all before 8 o clock. The meeting lasted till 10 then we had to pass out all the cleaning chemicals that the missionaries will need for the next 6 weeks along with their money allowances. then we took them all home before noon which was when we had a meeting with President and the APs. We drove to the airport at 2 o’clock then all over the island dropping off the missionaries that just finished their missions. Then we had to run a bunch of stuff around for president and get the Americans who were finishing all into one central area. We had our meal at 9:00 pm and then had to go to town to find out when the boat would be coming down from Vava'u with 7 missionaries on it. Turns out it was 1:00 in the morning...... we filled the time doing some paper work that has to be done documenting the transfer. We got to the wharf at 1 am and the boat got there at 2:30 am. We had to take all the missionaries back home and ended up getting back at 4 am. At six thirty president called and we had to do some stuff for him to prepare for the meeting that he would be having with all the zone leaders. My comp and I then bought all the food so the zone leaders could eat lunch. We had a little incident occur involving a little girl on the way home that delayed us. We got all that stuff taken care of then had to go back and buy some boat tickets and take care of some things with another church that asked us to help them with something. We had a teaching in one of our wards then had to take the Americans who were finishing to the airport and drop them off and pick up all the new missionaries from the NZ MTC (aka the Tongans) and take them home. The plane got in around 9:30 pm and by the time we got them off and all there bags loaded up it was around 10:30. We had some missionaries with us that hadn’t had the opportunity to eat that evening so we took them into town to get some grub. We got home around 11:30 or 12:00. The next morning we got up at 5:30 to get a missionary to the airport to fly to eua. We got back home and had to do some work in the office for President. We spent all day getting stuff fixed that we had neglected because we were so busy. Then we had to take some missionaries to the airport so they could fly to vava'u. They cancelled one of the flights to haapai so we had to reschedule that flight for later that afternoon. We had to go drive around town… the sisters had gotten all their bags confused so we took them all their suitcases and when they confused their bags they lost all of their keys so we had to go back to the office to get them all keys to their houses. We went back to the airport at 5p to take the zone leader so he could fly back to haapai. At six we ate then had to go do some training for the new Tongan missionaries and take them to their new homes. Thursday we got up at 5:00 to get all the stuff ready for the new American missionaries to come in. we picked them up and while president took them around showing them the island we took their bags home and did some random stuff at the office. We spent the day trying to catch up from the previous few day’s madness. We finally got almost caught up and we were asked to shuttle the new Americans to random places to buy things they would need for their work. Afterwards they went to eat and president gave us a strict order to go sleep for an hour so we did and it was GLORIOUS..... Yesterday we weren’t quite as busy we just did some training for the new palangis and got their houses ready for them to live in. and today we went to the beach and climbed some coconut trees. It’s been a crazy week I don’t think I quite portray just how crazy it was but for practicalities sake I think this works. Needless to say, I was a bit tired a few times. I think now you will understand why I might not email very well during transfer time. Love you all Elder Mayberry

Be Loving To Your Family

On our way back from lunch we see these two cars pulled over to the side of the road. It almost looked like there head been an accident. When we got closer a girl (about 17 years old) jumped out of one of the cars and runs and jumps in our shuttle. She is crying pretty hard and says her step father is taking her out to the bush to beat her. She is crying really hard and tells us that she actually tried to jump out of his car while it was going down the road. We start going and the car she just jumped out of pulls back onto the road and starts following us. He pulled up beside me and motioned for me to stop I communicated that he was to follow us. we were on our way to the office so I just kept our course home thinking to have President mediate. I called president for a little guidance (I’m pretty sure it doesn’t have instructions for this in the missionary handbook) he said he would call the cops and for us to just head straight over. We get there and the cops didn’t have a car so they wanted us to take the girl and the dad into the station. President mediates things out between the guy and his step daughter. (The guy happens to be the high priest group leader from President’s ward) they both agree to just go home and have the mom mediate. We took her home and gave her a little interview/support speech on the way. It was really sad to see a priesthood leader behaving in such a way. It really gave me a new insight on how important it is to treat women with respect. It was really sad to see such a pretty girl so scared and sad. I’m really worried about what happened when we took her home. President is supposed to ask her tomorrow at church. I just want you all to know I love you all and I hope that you will all try a little harder to be loving to your family members and a little more patient and control your tempers.... love elder Mayberry

No comments:

Post a Comment